Looking for a little light reading?
Here is a list of books on the history of midwifery...
1. "History of nurse-midwifery in the United States" by Sister Mary Theophane Shoemaker, published by the Catholic University of America Press, Washington, DC, 1947.
2. Bulletin of Nurse-Midwifery, which began publication in either 1955 or 1956 -many midwives were working in public health administrative jobs.
3. Wide Neighborhoods by Mary Breckinridge
4. Midwifery and Childbirth in America by Judith Rooks (1997)
5. Lady's Hands, Lion's Heart by Carol Leonard
6. Arms Wide Open and Blue Cotton Gown by Patsy Harman
7. "Mother and Child Were Saved: The Memoirs (1693-1740) of the Frisian Midwife Catharina Schrader" by a Dutch midwife